Tuesday, December 28, 2010

ICU training- CATH lab


So my second day of training was spent on day shift in the cath lab, which is pretty much one of my favorite places in the world. I remember cath lab rotations during nursing school felt like one place where everything was right in the world of nursing. Finally nurses are practicing the autonomy they deserve and doctors and nurses are co existing peacefully! So I was super excited about spending the day there and it lived up to all of my expectations!
Sheath pulling (the reason why I was spending a day in the cath lab)
So if the flow sheet is my first nemesis then sheath pulling is my second. As it turns out despite my intense enjoyment during my day in the cath lab, I am terrible at holding pressure after a sheath pull. I tried everything and no matter what all my little femoral arteries were oozing every which way! I stretched my hands and I pushed with all my might 2 cm above the insertion site directly over the site where I had felt the catheter just like the video told me yet I still failed. One patient even developed a nice sized hematoma on my watch! Not that I am proud of these poor results to my treatment but in my defense my teacher for the day would not help me! Every time something started oozing too much or a hematoma started my teacher would just take over the operation instead of helping me to reposition or figure out what the problem was. I only had the opportunity to actually pull 2 sheaths because you have to watch so many before you can pull. I see this as a challenge and am looking forward to meeting a sheath in a femoral artery at work (or in dark alley where I can really show em who is boss (J-lame I know hahaha)) again one day.
I got to have lunch with some of my dayshift people from A6. Furthermore, the hospital fed us for free in honor of hospital week. I made it home in time to snag some groceries and a nap. Overall this day gets a good review!

This is what is being done in the cath lab on the left there is a narrowing of the artery and on the right you can see it has been repaired.

not the lab I was in but this is a typical setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment